Whilst the mantra of University of Cebu is to make accessible quality but affordable education to all, it has opened its gate wider by accepting deserving students into its scholarship and study grants program. Every year, an estimated 7,000 scholars are admitted to the various institutional, local and international scholarship programs offered by the university. To date, the institution has graduated a sizable number of grant recipients and scholars.
WHAT ARE THE AVAILABLE SCHOLARSHIP AND STUDY GRANTS?
- Academic Scholarship for CollegeScholarship meant for incoming first year college students who graduated with Academic Honors upon graduation from High School and will pursue any Board Courses (except Nursing) and ICT courses at the University of Cebu. The Academic Scholars must obtain Grades Point Average not lower than 1.7 to continue enjoying these privileges.
- High School ValedictoriansFull Free Grant (Free Tuition, Miscellaneous, and Laboratory Fees, Registration Fee)Book Allowance of P 1,000.00 for the entire semester
- High School SalutatoriansFull Free Grant (Free Tuition, Miscellaneous, and Laboratory Fees, Registration Fee)
- 1st – 5th Honorable Mentions50% Discount on Tuition FeePay all other Fees (Registration Fees, Miscellaneous Fees and Laboratory Fee)
- 6th – 10th Honorable Mentions30% Discount on Tuition FeePay all other Fees (Registration Fees, Miscellaneous Fees and Laboratory Fee)
Note:Scholarship Applicant to Nursing Program : Only the top five (5) Valedictorian and Salutatorian who undergo nursing admission examination shall be granted FULL FREE GRANT IN TUITION, REGISTRATION, ALLOWANCES and MICELLANEOUS (but will pay Laboratory Fees). For Valedictorians and Salutatorians who don’t make it to the cut of Top Five can only avail of FULL FREE GRANT IN TUITION plus the allowances, but will pay other Fees like Registration, Miscellaneous and Laboratory Fees. Honorable Mention up to the 10th who wish to take up Nursing shall avail of the privileges as stipulated and categorized above.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR ACADEMIC SCHOLARS
- High School Card (Form 138)
- Recommendation & Certification from the Principal that the applicant is a Valedictorian/Salutatorian/Honorable Mention of the School.
- Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the Faculty Adviser of the applicant & noted by the Principal / Guidance Counselor of the school where the applicant graduated in High School.
- Two (2) pcs. 2×2 colored ID Picture
- Two (2) index card with applicant’s Complete name, Residence address, Contact number, Parent’s / Guardian’s Name & Contact Number, Sketch of the Residence in the City; upon enrollment, two (2) photocopy of study load shall be pasted at the rear portion of the index card;
- Long size folder (white)DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION FOR ACADEMIC SCHOALRSHIP is MAY 15
- Working ScholarshipOpen to students who want to pursue their studies at the same time experience on the job training in various offices of the institution or its affiliates may apply as working scholars.Working scholars applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Grades of 85 and above in the case of High School graduates
- 2.5 and above for already in College
- Must pass the IQ Exams and Personality Test administered by the Guidance Office
The Working scholars shall receive the following privileges:
- Full Free Tuition
- Monthly Allowance
- Training exposures while working in the offices
The Working Scholars while they are receiving their grants must:
- Render at least 4 to 5 hours service daily
- Posses exemplary behavior in & out of work place
- Must exhibit great interest in studies
- Must not incur failing grades NG, DR, NC, W
- Cultural ScholarshipMeant for students who have creative potentials and art inclinations who may join in any of the following organizations under the Students Cultural Services:Privileges of the scholars include Tuition Fee Discounts ranging from 50% to a Full Free Scholarship depending upon the performance & years of service, plus the chance to be trained for free, travel and perform locally, nationally or internationally, and allowances earned from paid performances.
- Athletics and Sports ScholarshipAthletics and Sports scholarships are granted to students who become members of the university’s official varsity teams for the following events:
1. Athletics 6. Table Tennis 2. Basketball 7. Karatedo 3. Volleyball 8. Chess 4. Baseball 9. Sepak Takraw 5. Softball 10. SwimmingDiscounts and privileges are granted on a case-to-case basis, ranging from 10% Tuition Fee Discount to Full Free Scholarship depending on an athlete’s achievement, plus subsistence allowances.
- Peer Facilitator ScholarshipPeer Facilitator Scholars are tasked mainly to assist the operations of the Guidance Office of the institution. PF Scholars may receive a FREE TUITION GRANT ranging from 50% to 100% depending on the number of year of service (Senior or Junior Level) and work performance as assessed and recommended by their direct superiors. Other privileges free skills enhancement and knowledge building activities.The PF Scholars are classified as:1. Senior (with continuous service of 3 years and more)2. Junior (with continuous service of two years)3. PF Volunteers (those who did not make it to the cut due to unavailability of slots)Interested Applicants should go directly to the UC – MAIN Guidance Center
- Maritime International Scholarship GrantsThe University of Cebu has forged linkages with international shipping principals which are offering study grants for those students interested to pursue a seafaring career.
The largest partners of the institutions are the following:Norwegian Ship Owner Association (NSA)International Maritime Employees Committee (IMEC)Inter-orient Navigation Corporation (INC)
These international organizations are extending benefits to its scholars in the form of:Full-free scholarship (tuition, miscellaneous and all school fees)Free board, Lodging, Books and UniformsA chance to travel worldwide during apprenticeship with a possible allowance of $450 a month & in the future, be hired on board Norwegian flagged or controlled vessel as an officer upon passing the board examination
- Original Certified true copy of high school card with at least of 85% GPA and no grade below 80
- Original copy & photocopy of Birth Certificate
- Applicants must be 16-22 yrs. old as of April 2012
- Height must be at least 5’3’’ (160cm) for male and 5’2’’ (158cm) for female
- 1 pc. 2×2 colored picture attached to the application form
EXAMINATION and SCREENING SCHEDULE:October to March 8am – 12nn, 1pm – 5pm at Guidance Offices of all University of Cebu CampusesMarch – April. Final Screening (Specific dates for screening are highly dependent on the provider’s own preferred schedule)Qualified applicants will undergo (computer-based exam, physical fitness exam and interview) at the UC-LM NSA / METC Office
- Local and International Shipping Companies offering Partial/Full Scholarship and Placement after Graduation to selected UC Maritime Students:
1. STOLT 6. POBAR 2. AGFI 7. FIL-STAR MARITIME CORP. MARINE INC. 3. “K” LINE 8. MAGSAYSAY-MITSUI O.S.K. 4. Mitsui O.S.K. Lines 9. IDEMITSU MARINE CO., LTD 5. Dalisay Shipping 10. PILIPINAS CROWN MARITIME INC.
- UC – METC Cadetship Program for Maritime StudentsJapanese Connection1. ASTRO SHIPMANAGEMENT, INC.2. PHOENIX MARITIME CORP.3. Jubar Shipping Corp.4. VERITAS MARITIME CORP.5. ASIANA SHIP MANAGEMENT, INC.6. MAINE MARINE PHILIPPINES, INC.7. MECO8. VENTIS MARITIME CORP.
Korean Connection1. KORNIL2. HANJIN SHIPPING
Indian Connection1. Great Southern Maritime Services Corporation2. UNITED OCEAN SHIP MANAGEMENT PTE LTD.
European Connection1. EL BURG Ship Management Phils, Inc.2. CAREER Philippines Ship Management, INC.3. PTC4. POMI5. WALLEM Philippines
American Connection1. REINIER PACIFIC International Shipping, INC.2. APL3. ROYMAR Ship Management U.S. A.
German Connection1. RICKMERS GROUP2. INC3. CARSTEN REHDER
Greek Connection1. CrewCare, Inc.2. TSAKOS SHIPPING S/A3. MARYVILLE MANILA, INC.
- CORPORATE/INSTITUTIONAL/GOVERNMENT/INDIVIDUAL SPONSORED SCHOLARSHIPThese institutions and individuals are offering study grants to deserving applicants. In usual cases, they would pick and screen their own beneficiaries and relegate them to seek a quality education at University of Cebu. Application to these scholarship grants may be done at the UC Scholarship Office, at the UC Main Campus. Sanciangco St.
1. Menzi 16. Greenwich Scholarship (UCLM) 2. Sulpicio 17. Lexmark Scholarship (UCLM) 3. Gothong 18. Lear Scholarship (UCLM) 4. Aboitiz 19. ALPA Foundation INC. 5. Waterfront 20. SEEDS Grantees (Jollibee, Chowking, Greenwich, Red Ribbon) 6. Doña Modesta Gaisano 21. Religious / Civic Scholarship 7. PESFA 22. Golden Prince (for: HRM, Tourism, IT) 8. CTEAP 23. Edgar Cokaliong Foundation Inc. 9. Cebu Mitzumi 24. Edward & Eva Underwood Charitable Foundation 10. Trans – Asia 25. Talent Scholarship (UC-LM) 11. Tzu Chi Foundation 26. Tsuneishi Foundation (Cebu) Inc. Scholarship 12. SPAAFI (St. Peter Academy of Alegria Foundation Inc.) 27. Naga City LGU College Scholarship 13. Ernesto “Asay” Yu Foundation 28. Syudad sa Sugbo (Cebu City Government Scholarship Program) 14. Juanito King Foundation 15. Paglaum Training Int’l. ( PTI)
For Inquiries, visit or call:
DR. LEONILO B. OLIVA, Ph. D., DM – HRM
Director, Office of Scholarship
University of Cebu
Sanciangko St., Cebu City
Tel. No.: (032) 255 – 7777 loc. 156
Fax. No.: (032) 253 – 0729 / ( 032 ) 254 – 3287